Sunday, October 25, 2009

Melbourne with Collis and Cyan

After we woke up feeling like humans we left for a day of sightseeing with Lance's bosses, Collis and Cyan. Melbourne is a really big, cool city, and there's a ton of stuff to do. We started with pancakes at a cute little outdoor cafe. Australian pancakes are much better than American pancakes (although I may have been influenced by the scoop of ice cream on the top). When I asked for water, the waiter looked at me funny, and acted like he'd have to go out of his way, and that it might take a minute. I thought he was being sarcastic, because my request had been so simple, but then it really did take him awhile to bring me some water, and it was in a wine bottle. I'd always heard that the water situation was funky in different countries, so who knows?
There was an Indonesian festival going on, so there were lots of performers, and crafts, and yummy foods all around.
The Yarrow River winds through the city, and they have little sightseeing boats everywhere. There are a lot of trees and flowers and gardens and parks everywhere, and the air tastes delicious.


Collis and Cyan are even cooler than we expected, and we had a fun day hanging out with them.



There are tons of cool buildings around the city, and lots of different churches - all of them old and cool.


The highlight, though, might have been the fist-sized truffle that we got at this delicious little chocolate shop. It was exactly what I imagine heaven tasting like. Totally worth the $10 we paid for it.
The pancakes and chocolate may be better here, but their pizza...not so much. :) Unfortunately, it was the only thing we could bring ourselves to buy last night, after finding out that a (1) burrito would set us back $19. Tonight we'll try to find a grocery store so we can afford to eat when we get back. The picture, by the way, is of the bottle that the tap water comes in.

6 comments:

Audrey Crisp said...

YEah I think I forgot to tell you. You have to ask for tap water with ice! Otherwise you'll get like a wine bottle of water. We made that mistake before. and when they do put ice in it it's like 3 cubes. hahaah...so funny. that truffle chocolate sounds great! So does the pancakes! Melbourne looks so rad!!!! I'm glad you like lance's boss! They seem cool and cute! What else have you been doing there? When do you leave for Sydney? I can't wait to see more! I love all your pics!

Pam said...

After your LONG-est EVER flight, I did not want to travel to Australia. Period. Darn you, though, everything you're telling us about, makes me want to go!!! (If only I could stop myself from reading your posts, I'd be safe!)The look of the place, all the different foods you're having, and, seeing the ANIMALS you've seen, WOW!!! -----I may have to suffer through that flight! Darn your hides, as Ta-Bug would say... Love, Mom

Briana said...

When are you coming home?

Good job for updating! This looks like a blast.

Donna S. said...

Oh! This was sooo much fun to read! Thanks for the great write-up!

And fist-sized truffles!?! I want to go now!!

moms

Audrey Crisp said...

If you don't do a new post soon I'm gonna kick your butt!

Lauren said...

Yea I finally found my way to your blog! I love the pics of your new home gorgeous! I can't believe you got to go to Australia!!!!